AdAware scripts, different problem

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 21:06:13 -0700

Dean,
I've installed and compiled the scripts, an the same for the upgrade of
AdAware SE 1.06.  Either I'm doing something wrong or there's a problem with
the script.  I wonder if you can tell from this description:
I'm using Jaws 6.0, Windows XP Home Edition.

All I want to do is run AdAware in the simplest way, where you do the scan
(either the Smart Scan or, at least to begin with, the full scan, and then
mark and delete all critical objects.  That was the way I used Version 1.05,
and it satisfied me.

I read your excellent HTML instructions and then referred back to them when
I had trouble, and attempted the process over again.  but still no luck.
Here's what happens.
I successfully performed the Web Update, and then went on to do a scan.  At
the end of the scan, I expected to find myself on the Scan Results page,
where the instructions said I'd be on the Scan Summary button.  I wasn't.
Rather, Jaws said "Scan Results Help button."

I tabbed around to see if I could land on the Scan Summary button in order
to go to the next step, but it wouldn't appear for me.  I switched to the
Jaws cursor just to explore and make sure that the Scan Summary button was
on this display, and it was, but I couldn't reach it in the way the
instructions describe.

I tabbed around, but just came to a Help button and a couple of other
things, but not the Scan Summary button.  I tried to right arrow and left
arrow to see if I could reach the Critical Objects tab, but mostly Jaws was
silent when I pressed the arrow keys, no matter which direction or how many
times I pressed.

Just to see what would happen, I pressed Control M anyway, but got a message
that I needed to be on the Critical Objects position or the harmless objects
position, you know the one I mean.  Negligible?  Innocuous?

Anyway, so I pressed Control N to see what message I'd get then, and heard
that I hadn't deleted any of the critical objects and asking me if I wanted
to proceed or cancel.

I tried the whole thing twice, rereading the instructions in between to be
sure I was following the steps properly.  What could I be doing wrong?  I
compiled the scripts again, just to be sure, right while I was in the open
program, so I didn't even have to worry about finding them to compile.

I hope I've described my experience clearly.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Daniel