Re: Accessible browser/e-mail/html editor found

  • From: chris hallsworth <christopherh40@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 12:14:58 +0100

Hi I tried Chatzilla but not for ages. Seemed to work well with JAWS. I use NVDA full time, and no doubt NVDA will work fine with this client.

Signed by Chris Hallsworth
MSN: ch9675@xxxxxxxxxxx
Skype: chrishallsworth7266

On 22/06/2010 0:02, Alex Midence wrote:
My guess is that it does work with it since it's multiplatform.  There's
a linux version and a mac OSX version. I can't imagine there not being a
windows 7 version. I think I may indeed join that mozilla list. Thanks
for sending me the link. I'm really enjoying their software. Do you
happen to know if chatzilla works well with Jaws? It's the irc client
for irc chat.

Thanks.
Alex

chris hallsworth wrote:
Ok, so does this Seamonkey work on Windows 7? Think I'll also ask on
my Blind Mozilla list. Feel free to join by sending a blank message to
blind-mozilla-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Signed by Chris Hallsworth
MSN: ch9675@xxxxxxxxxxx
Skype: chrishallsworth7266

On 21/06/2010 4:12, Alex Midence wrote:
Hi, all,

Wanted to share this discovery with everyone out there. For some time
now, I've been searching for a jaws-friendly html editor. I've found two
of them, three really, and I wanted to spread the word about them in
case anyone else needs these tools. Best part of it all is that most of
these are free. So, to all those manufacturers out there whose products
are inaccessible, consider yourselves gifted with the bird! The one I've
settled upon offers much more than I bargained for but, in a good way.
It is called Sea Monkey. It's made by Mozilla and is actually a suite of
applications containing seamonkey, a browser, seamonkey e-mail, and
Composer which is an html editor descended from something they had made
some years ago called NVU. The whole thing runs on a Mozilla engine
similar to Firefox. Because of this, I was able to use the Firefox
scripts for Jaws 10 and hit the ground running. I just did a select all
in the Firefox.jss file and copied and pasted the whole thing minus the
comments at the top into the seamonkey.jss file the program generated.
Control+s to compile, alt+tab back to my application and voi la! It
worked like acharm. Best of all? It's free totaly, absolutely, free. So,
if you are tired of outlook 2007 and have a choice in the matter,
download this package and give it a whirl. So far, Jaws reads it just
fine. Anyone who used netscape communications a few years back will feel
right at home since this is a direct descendant of it as it were. Here
are my other picks for Jaws-friendly html editors:

Arachnophelia 4.0: This one is supposed to work with Jaws right out of
the box with no problem. The only thing to worry about is that it was
written in 2001 and html has evolved considerably since then. There is a
more recent version but the guy made it multiplatform and used Java.
Apparently, when he did, he didn't fix it so the accessbridge could
latch on to it and make it so screen readers in windows could read it.
KompoZer: This app is another derivitive of NVU and it's no coincidence
that its name resembles the html editor component in Seamonkey.
Apparently it's the editor that sort of kept the torch alight for a few
years until seamonkey was updated. Works like a word processor. Menus
are accessible, and it just feels like you're in a word processor while
in wisiwyg mode. There's a tags mode and a source mode if you want to
edit the code directly as well. Seamonkey's Composer, that's composer
with a c and an s as opposed to with a k and a z, does the same thing.
Haven't figured out which of the two editors is better yet, they're so
similar. I like the suite version though so I'm sticking with that since
I'm sick and tired of outlook acting crazy on me.

Adobe dreamweaver cs5: This is the only commercial pick I had. i'm still
demoing it in fact. Jaws appears to have no problems with it so far.
It's huge advantage is that it comes with templates and wizzards and you
can edit all sorts of things with it in addition to html. It's the only
truly accessible app I've found so far that can create xml, html, php,
javascript and all that sort of thing.

Apps to watch:

Html kit: This isn't a wisiwyg but it's got all sorts of features. The
menus are not jaws friendly, however. There are reputedly some Jaws
scripts out there for it but the link is broken when you go to download
it from sourceforge, I think it was. Without them, it's very hard to
work with.
Amaya 11.3: This is a browser and editor rolled into one. It's free and
made by the worldwide Web Consortium, the ones who write and say what
constitutes the standards for html code itself. Menu bars are perfectly
accessible, buttons and toolbars are too once autographics labeler is
run. Hotkey navigation is enabled. Trouble is, the actual content
editing area is not. The window class is something called wx_amaya
Canvas. Jaws has absolutely no idea what to make of it. Any page you
edit in notepad from scratch that you then have it open comes up
allright but all the text is rendered into graphics with graphic
numbers. Jaws cursor and pc cursor navigation alike are fruitless.
Virtual cursor doesn't kick in either. Why am I including this? Because,
you see, anytime anyone doing web development wonders what you have to
do to make a webpage acessible to screen reders, they get referred to
the w3c. Anytime standardization issues come up for accessibility as a
hole across all forms of assistive technology, the w3c's the resource
people are refered to. Even Freedom Scientific refers people to them
when they want to make websites accessible. So, it stands to reason that
sooner or later, the very editor of the wc3 will become very accessible
to blind users. When will that be? I don't know. They're close though.
It'll have to wait till they do it since I didn't get the impression
freedom scientific was too interested in tackling the problem when I
sent in a suggestion.

That's all for now. I hope someone finds this e-mail useful and
informative. Even if you aren't interested in an html editor, give
seamonkey a try, you might like it just for the broser and e-mail
funtionality. Most of the firefox add-ons seem to work with seamonkey as
well. Incidentally, this e-mail I'm writing, is being composed in
Seamonkey. Haven't had a single Jaws incident and I'm loving it!

Regards,
Alex

Alternative archives located at:

Alternative archives located at:

or the way the list is being run, do not post them to the list. Rather