Re: AbiWord with Jaws

  • From: Alex Midence <alex.midence@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 09:08:04 -0500

I've seen it before but through Vinux.  If you want to use that word
processor, download and burn a copy of the live cd for the latest
distribution of Vinux at:

http://www.vinux.org.uk

If you want a free word processor that works with Jaws which, I assume
you do since you asked about Open-Office in another post, I understand
Lotus Symphony works pretty good with Jaws.  Some people on this list
have found it works really well for them.  Be warned, though, It's a
bit of a pain to actually get it downloaded.  IBM basically wants to
know your blood type, how many hairs you have per folacle, teeth in
your mouth, and the lengtg, thickness and breadth of the nail on your
pinky toe.  I lost patience with their site and never tried it.  If
you just want kind of an all-purpose text editor, I strongly, very
strongly recommend EdSharp.  Frankly, every blind person ought to try
that app at least once.  It was, ... built to order you might say.
That thing reads just about any format under the sun and it works
pretty good for writing LaTex, programming source code, rtf's and html
files.  It is also free.  Can't remember the link of the top of my
head but you can find it on google pretty easily.  It was written by a
blind  programmer with accesibility built into the very source  code
of the application.

You might also find it at Inthane's grab bag:

http://www.inthane.org

Hope I got the link right.  Good luck and have a nice day.

Alex M