Re: AVG free

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 20:14:02 -0700

Then that's what it is you want to reschedule, not the update.  See?  That's
what I was trying to get straight.  Other people with the same concerns have
said that they reschedule the scan to take place during the night or anytime
when they know they won't be using the computer.

anyway, someone posted directions for accessing that scheduler with Jaws,
which is a little tricky.  Let me see if I can find the text copy I saved of
the intrusions and paste it in.

Found it.  Here you go:
From: "David The Wild-thing!" <d.h.whitehead@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: AVG, a lovable system resources hog (was:Can Jaws slow down
your computer?)
Date: Thursday, September 28, 2006 3:48 AM

AVG Free version: 7.1.385 will run a virus scan on your computer Daly at
8:00 AM by default. However, if you would like to change the test time, it
can be changed by performing the following steps.

Changing the AVG virus scan schedule:
In the AVG sub-menu, in start-menu/programs,
1. Open AVG Free, addition for Windows,  tab to the scheduler button and
then tap spacebar.
2. You now should be on a combo box with two choices. Up arrow to (Test plan
in basic mode), tab to the edit schedule button and then tap spacebar.
3. You now should be on the (Periodically start scheduled antivirus test)
check box, if this check box is not checked, use spacebar to check it.
4. Now Tab once to the schedule time combo box and use your up or down aero
to choose the time of day you would like AVG to scan your computer for
viruses, tab to the OK button and then tap enter.
AVG now will automatically run a virus scan at the appointed time.
You can also set AVG free to update at a desired time by performing the
following steps. This will make sure your AVG virus definitions are up to
date.

Changing the AVG update schedule:

1. Open AVG Free, addition for Windows, tab to the scheduler button and then
tap spacebar.
2. You now should be on a combo box with two choices. Use Up and down arrow
and be sure (update plan in basic mode) is selected, tab to the edit
schedule button and then tap spacebar.
3. You now should be on the (Periodically check for Internet updates) check
box. If this check box is not checked, use spacebar to check it.
4. Now tab once to the (Check daily between) combo box and use you're up or
down aero to choose the time of day you would like your computer to check
for updates.
5. tab once to the (If Internet connection is not available, check when it
goes on-line) check box, if it is not checked use spacebar to check it, tab
to the OK button and then tap enter.
Your AVG definitions will now automatically be updated at the appointed
time. Note- If your computer is not on at the appointed update time, or
connected to the internet via a broadband connection AVG will update the
next time you connect to the internet.