AOL now allows the use of Outlook and Eudora

  • From: "Pickrell, Rebecca M." <rebecca.pickrell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Blindtech (E-mail)" <blindtech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"Blind College Students (E-mail)" <BlindVIcollegeStudents@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"Web site testing (E-mail)" <uvip-web-test@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"JFW list (E-mail)" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"JAWS and employment (E-mail)" <jfw-employment@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:42:42 -0700

Looks like access to AOL's email and other services just got a lot =
easier. Now the only question is, what took so long?=20

washingtonpost.com: AOL Subscribers Get E-Mail Flexibility

siemens_160x600_WashingtonPost  frame
siemens_160x600_WashingtonPost
Siemens/siemens_160x600
siemens_160x600_WashingtonPost  frame end
washingtonpost.com

AOL Subscribers Get E-Mail Flexibility

By Anick Jesdanun
The Associated Press
Monday, April 26, 2004; 8:59 AM

NEW YORK -- America Online subscribers can now check their e-mail using =
most third-party software, yet another sign of holes opening up in the =
Internet
dial-up leader's walled garden.

That means Internet users accustomed to Outlook, Outlook Express, =
Eudora and other programs needn't use AOL's proprietary software or use =
Web-based interface
to check their AOL electronic mail.

AOL quietly began supporting the open IMAP protocols on April 5 and =
formally launched it Wednesday.

"We've had members that have said, `I'm used to using Outlook at work =
or Eudora at my old ISP (Internet service provider), so why can't I do =
the same things?'"
said Roy Ben-Yoseph, AOL's director of e-mail products.

Before, only AOL's main software, its AOL Communicator and the =
AOL-owned Netscape browsers supported AOL e-mail. Instructions for =
using IMAP are at AOL
keywords "open mail access."

AOL also has been making more of its once-exclusive content available =
through its Web site. It has been shifting from its proprietary =
programming language,
known as "Rainman," to the hypertext markup language that powers the =
World Wide Web.

Among other major e-mail providers, Yahoo! also offers access through =
third-party software, starting at $19.99 a year. Yahoo uses the POP =
standard to do
so.

Microsoft's Hotmail and MSN still limit access to the Web and Microsoft =
software such as Outlook and Outlook Express.

=A9 2004 The Associated Press

google_ads_frame frame

  ADVERTISER LINKS

What's this?
Redskin Season Schedule
View Redskins schedule, see virtual view, secure online ticket ordering
www.EveryTicket.com/

Palestine - Israel 101
A fact-based presentation takes you to the solution of the conflict
www.americantaskforce.org

Settlements or Peace?
Sign Call to Bring Settlers Home Jewish Alliance for Justice & Peace
bringthemhome.btvshalom.org
google_ads_frame frame end