6.0 CD arrival followed by headache

  • From: "D. J. Mitchell" <mitch44@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jfw list" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 14:08:53 -0700

Hi Listers, Trying to install the new CD, I get an auto run error involving
XP Home.
I uninstalled the downloaded version first and am using my 5.1 to send this
note.
The send error button resulted in the following on line crash report and
repair instructions:

Begin quoted material:
WORKAROUND
To work around this problem, follow these steps:

Table with 2 columns and 3 rows
1.
Identify the file that cannot be opened. To identify the file, follow these
steps:

Nested Table with 2 columns and 6 rows, nesting level 1
a.
Click Start, click Run, type EVENTVWR, and then click OK.
b.
In Event Viewer, click Application log.
c.
Click the Source column heading to sort the list by source and to list all
the Application Error sources at the top of the list.
d.
Search for an event with a source of Application Error and an event ID of
1005.
e.
Double-click this event.
f.
The file that cannot be opened will be listed in the Description box. Note
the file name, and then close Event Properties.
table end
2.
Try to open the file again. The problem may have been temporary and may not
occur when the program runs again.
3.
If you still cannot open the file, determine whether other files on the same
CD or DVD can be opened. If not, the CD drive or DVD drive may be damaged or
the device drivers may be damaged. To resolve these problems, contact your
administrator or computer hardware vendor for
more help.
End quoted material.
I say, are you kiddin'
me?  Bulletin:  I ain't no stinking computer expert.
Is there some way to solve the problem of getting this version installed
without calling Bill Gates or Ted Henter?
And, by the way, any guidance from FS on dealing with this 2 CD package was
sorely missing; at least in my case.
If you are still reading, you can write me with suggestions on list or off
list at:

mitch44@xxxxxxxxx
 Thanks all, Mitch