Re: 16 bit Windows Subsystem error message

  • From: "Michael Capelle" <michaelcapelle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:21:28 -0600

Hello there, I hope the following information helps you out.

If you try to start or install an MS-DOS-based or a 16-bit Windows-based
program

on your Windows XP-based computer, you may receive an error message that is
similar

to one of the following:

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem

path to the program that you are trying to start or install

C:\Winnt\System32\config.nt The system file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and

Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem

path to the program that you are trying to start or install

config.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft
Windows

applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem

path to the program that you are trying to start or install

C:\Windows\System32\Autoexec.nt The system file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS

and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
application.

Although you may be prompted to quit the program or ignore the error
message, either

selection makes the program quit.

CAUSE

This issue may occur if one or more of the following files are missing or
damaged:

.

Config.nt

.

Autoexec.nt

.

Command.com

RESOLUTION

To resolve this issue:

1.

Insert the CD into the CD drive or DVD drive.

2.

Click Start, and then click Run.

3.

In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.

4.

At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after
each command:

expand

CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\config.nt_ c:\windows\system32\config.nt

expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\autoexec.nt_
c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\command.co_ c:\windows\system32\command.com

exit

5.

Start or install the program. If the issue is resolved, do not complete the
remaining

steps. If the issue is not resolved, go to the next step.

6.

Note

: The Command.com file is not edited or created in this in the following
process.

Because of this, you may have to expand it from your Windows XP CD-ROM.

Start Notepad.

7.

In Notepad, type the following entries:

   dos=high, umb

device=%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\himem.sys

files=40

8.

On the File menu, click Save As.

9.

In the File Name box, type Config.nt, and then click Save. Close the
Config.nt file.

10.

On the File menu, click New.

11.

In the new blank document, type the following entries:

@echo off

lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\mscdexnt.exe

lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\redir

lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\dosx

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

12.

On the File menu, click Save As.

13.

In the File Name box, type Autoexec.nt, and then click Save. Close the
Autoexec.nt

file.

14.

Start Windows Explorer. Locate the Config.nt file, right-click the Config.nt
file,

and then click Copy.

15.

Right-click the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 folder, and then click Paste.

16.

Locate the Autoexec.nt file, right-click the Autoexec.nt file, and then
click Copy.

17.

Right-click the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 folder, and then click Paste.

18.

Locate the Command.com file, right-click the expanded Command.com file, and
then

click Copy.

19.

Right-click the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 folder, and then click Paste. Restart
your

computer.