[jfsfk] List created

  • From: Satish Babu <director@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfsfk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 16:38:28 +0530

All
As suggested by Dr. Sasi Kumar, a list named JFSFK
(jfsfk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) has been created.

The following is my last mail and responses to it from some of you
(pls note that some of the non-journal stuff has been edited out).

Sorry for the delay in getting this done, and pls note that there may
be initial problems in the running of the list--kindly bear with us.

satish

--

Subject: Shifting of deadline for submission
Date: 27 Oct 2011
From: Satish Babu

Dear colleague
We have 5 submissions now for the first issue of JFSFK, and need another 5-7
more for the first issue.

We propose to hold a Free Software conference during 27-29 Dec 2011, where
we will be having several invited presentations. We should be able to
convert some of these to papers and use them. However, this would mean
pushing the deadline to end-January 2012. Please let us known if this is ok.

Also, we have several Spanish language paper submissions. We may not have
the facility to translate the full paper to English (however, it would be
possible to translate the Abstract and keywords). Please let us know, in
your opinion, the best of the following options:

a. Publish the full paper in Spanish and Abstract in English
b. Publish the full paper in English only after translation
c. Accept submissions only in English; have a separate
Spanish/Portuguese/French issue of the journal for other languages

Since we do not yet have a mailing list, I will collate your opinions and
send back as mail.

satish

--

From Dr. Baby Johny

Dear Mr. Sathish,
Greetings from Cochin. I reccommend the third option (c) for JFSFK.
The normal issues will be in English and one or two special issues in
a year can be introduced for "other languages".

The periodicity of this we can fixed  as per the availability of articles.
Regards

Baby

From: Diego Saravia

> We have 5 submissions now for the first issue of JFSFK, and need another 5-7
> more for the first issue.

> Also, we have several Spanish language paper submissions. We may not have
> the facility to translate the full paper to English (however, it would be
> possible to translate the Abstract and keywords). Please let us know, in
> your opinion, the best of the following options:

It seems we have more spanish papers than english ones, so we are by
now stronger in spanish speaking countries

I think, if we are trully international  we must be neutral over
languages issues. So we must publish every article in its original
language. Perhaps we can publish in several languages each article in
the web, encouraging people to translate p2p way every article to
every language

I think we can publish the english abstract off all articles in the
paper version, and that abstract must be submited by the original
author with the pepaer

so
1) publish in paper in original language plus english abstract
submited by author

2) publish the same in the web, aloud people to colaborate translating
in all languages they like.

so the journal will be  a good international reference of original FS
works, and the web is a diffusion center.

From: Dr. Sasi Kumar

One way would be to follow the method of the FS movement: Put up a
machine translation on a wiki and request the community to polish it up.

Those who subscribe to the printed version may then have to download the
pdf of the translation and print it out.Or we could  give the abstract
in English and Spanish and provide translation as a service. What do
others think?

Regards
Sasi

From: Dr. Sasi Kumar

Dear all, It just dawned on me that it may be a good idea to give a list
of forthcoming papers on the web site of the journal I think it might
help people to get interested and might even encourage people to submit
papers.What do you all think?

Regards,
Sasi

From: Dr. Sasi Kumar

It is sad that we still don't have a list Can't we just set one up
at,say, freelists.org or somewhere else?

Regards

Sasi

From: Hector Rodriguez

Dear Satish:

I think we should define what is the official language of the journal,
or if we will allow, in addition to English, Spanish, Portuguese and
French. Particularly, I consider that to accept the three languages
can give us the opportunity to receive contributions from a wider
spectrum of people around the world, which would give much more
visibility to the magazine. My proposal therefore would be to accept
contributions in English, Spanish, portuguese and French, but require
that all give the summary and key words in English. But only for the
first issue. From the second one should receive contributions only in
English. We may also publish a special issue per year in Spanish,
Portuguese and French.

I have a couple of papers ready to submit for consideration at the
first number, but are still in Spanish. You tell me if I can send them
to you as well or translate into English.

Best regards,
Héctor

From: Ms. Mini Ulanat

I am for third option.  Otherwise there might be issue for issn also.

    We propose to hold a Free Software conference during 27-29 Dec 2011, where
    we will be having several invited presentations. We should be able to
    convert some of these to papers and use them. However, this would mean
    pushing the deadline to end-January 2012. Please let us known if this is ok.

Deadline need to be pushed to Dec end only? We can publish it in Jan itself?

mini

--

From Dr. Ram Manohar Reddy

Dear Satish

On the Spanish...I think it sends out a good message in keeping with
the philosophy of the FSM and OAJs that we hve a mutlilingual
journal...with English as the core language and papers in Spanish with
the title and abstract in English, and also French. (but not mandarin)

On papers, may be papers from the conference are a good idea even if
it means a delay.

On submissions from editors...I dont see myself being able to
contribute anything in the field, but I could work on substantially
revising the keynote address, but that is only tangential to the
subject. And I do not see myself being able to look at that before mid
December.

Finally, was there no response at all to the suggested change in
title? I myself am silent.

regards

Ram