[jawsscripts] Re: jaws and youtube

  • From: "Donald Marang" <donald.marang@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 23:26:17 -0400

Adobe made a huge leap forward in accessibility last October when they
released their Creativity Suite 4 (CS4)!  The Flash Professional software,
which is one piece of CS4, provided a new Flash player and pre built widget
controls like Play /pause, seek slider, mute, volume slider, full screen and
more that have accessibility code already included.  YouTube must have been
working with the beta of CS4 because they updated their site with these
controls the day CS4 was released!  I heard about the improvements in the
"Adobe Accessibility" RSS feed.  The page for the October 16 announcement
page is:
http://blogs.adobe.com/accessibility/2008/10/our_favorite_cs4_accessibility.html

In the details of this announcement, they claim they worked with the makers
of Windowize and JAWS while implementing these features.  They also provide
detailed instructions of how to interact with these new Flash controls for
both screen readers.  Unfortunately, I could never get JAWS to work with the
slider controls.  At least part of the problem is to get JAWS into Forms
Mode on the slider, so the arrow keys can adjust the slider.  JAWS does not
recognize the slider control,will not automatically enter Forms Mode on the
slider, and I was not able to easily  force it into Forms Mode.  I did send
this info to FS during the 10 beta period.  They did not sound interested.
They seemed to feel that people who use JAWS never use Flash for audio or
video.

I think Windowize actually works using Adobe's instructions.  Perhaps a
simple script to can be written to make these controls work would be
possible?

Don Marang