[jawsscripts] Re: chat client

  • From: "Smith, Alice A. HQ DCO" <Alice.A.Smith@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:31:58 -0400

Brian,

JAWS 8 and 9 process text very differently than 7. One of the most annoying
(for me) things they do is treat white text on a black background as
highlighted. So every time new text event gets white text on black, it is
spoken by SayHighlightedText. The reason this happens in JAWS 8 and 9 is
because FS is now getting the information about whether the text is highlighted
from the operating system.

So if your text is white on black, you don't have to write code to speak it, it
will speak automatically. I have two ways to stop it from speaking.

1. Go into default.jss NewTextEvent and change it to do the following:

; ## Check for White text (16777215) on black (0) and do not speak it as
highlighted.
if nAttributes& ATTRIB_HIGHLIGHT && !(nTextColor == 16777215 &&
nBackgroundColor == 0) then
        SayHighlightedText(hwnd,buffer)
else
        SayNonHighlightedText(hwnd,buffer)
endIf

2. If your application doesn't have any highlighted text that will need to be
spoken, go into your application jcf and set UseCustomHighlight to 2.
Configuration Manager/Set Options/Custom Highlight Options/Custom Only.
WARNING: You do not want to do this in the default.jcf. You will lose speech in
other places, such as arrowing up and down in the message list in Outlook.

Myapplication.jcf
[Options]
;Ignore all highlights, especially the white text on black highlight created in
JAWS 9 and use custom only.
UseCustomHighlight=2