[jawsscripts] Re: Scripting Word Web Dictionary

  • From: "Martin Slack" <m.g.slack@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 07:55:48 -0000

Andre,

  So far so good.  It might be useful to know whether this is the
downloadable version of the WordWeb dictionary, or the online version, that
you are targetting.

  However, assuming that the series of commands you have listed is the
appropriate one, Jaws has a function called TypeKey which can be used to
pass a key code from a script to the underlying application, as though it
had been typed at the keyboard.  How do I know this?  Well, one way is to
move the text insertion point inside your skeleton script and press control
+ i.  This will bring up a dialog, part of which is a huge list of Jaws
scripts and functions.  This list is searchable, (you start in the search
box when the dialog first comes up), and in fact even the scripts and
functions you write will appear in this list.  Also the FSDN, which can be
downloaded from the FS site, gives the same sort of information for the
built in Jaws functions in .chm format, so you can spend many long winter
evenings browsing through to see exactly what is available.  Often, new
functions will appear with new versions of Jaws.

  You ask which cursor you should use, and the answer is whichever cursor
you use when you do the same keystrokes from the keyboard.  I would guess
that you don't change the cursor in real life, so you wouldn't change it in
the script either.  Say if this isn't so.

  So the next problem is to get the spellings of the function/script calls
correct.  For this I would use the control+i dialog and pick the appropriate
entries from the list.  Just start typing what you think is a good start
from the function name into the search box, then tab once into the list and
arrow up and down to see what is there.  Some explanatory information is
also presented for each function you highlight in the list, though I find
that Jaws 12 is rather poor at automatically speaking that.  When you find
the function you want and hit enter on it, you are prompted to fill in the
appropriate parameters, and when these are all entered, you end up back in
the script manager with the function already typed in you script.

  See how far you get with translating your list of pseudo-functions into
Jaws functions and ask again if you get stuck.

  Martin