[jawsscripts] Re: OT: Apple VoiceOver now supports scripting

  • From: Doug Lee <doug.lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 17:13:53 -0500

AppleScript doesn't do so well with event capture I think, so I'm
hoping other languages are available as choices.

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 05:09:32PM -0500, E.J. Zufelt wrote:
Good afternoon Jamal,
I haven't looked into any of the functions made available through the
API.  However, the language is AppleScript, which has been around for
years.  The new part is some openness, I'm not sure how much, to
executing functions that control VoiceOver.

HTH,
Everett

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/ezufelt

View my LinkedIn Profile
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ezufelt

On 2010-02-08, at 4:47 PM, Jamal Mazrui wrote:

> Does anyone have info on the scripting language used, its
> capabilities,
> etc.?  Feel free to post a web address with more info.
>
> Jamal
>

> On 2/8/2010 3:06 PM, Chad Foster wrote:
>> G-Dog,
>>
>> Not a dumb question at all, but I suppose the only reason would be to
>> extend the existing functionality for other, not yet included,
>> features. Apple has demonstrated the ability to innovate and include,
>> but they are not like Freedom Scientific in terms of understanding
>> the
>> needs and wants of the user base, so I reckon they are leaving the
>> door open for others to fill that void.
>>
>> On 2/8/10, G-Dog<lucifur@xxxxxxx>  wrote:
>>> Hmmm!
>>>
>>> Since the screen reader is built in to the o/s and 3rd party
>>> software runs
>>> on the native GUI then I wonder why scripting is necessary.
>>> Perhaps a dumb question I suppose.
>>>
>>> Hopefully then some enterprising young hacker will continue work
>>> on pro
>>> tools!
>>>
>>> Cheers...G!
>>> ginal Message -----

Doug Lee, Senior Accessibility Programmer
SSB BART Group - Accessibility-on-Demand
mailto:doug.lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.ssbbartgroup.com
"While they were saying among themselves it cannot be done,
it was done." --Helen Keller