[jawsscripts] JAWS script how you alphabetize items or compare

  • From: "John Martyn" <johnrobertmartyn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:47:26 -0700

I think I found a bug in the jaws script. When you DLGSelectItemFromList and
arrange it in alphabetic order, it gives you the correct value when you
assign it to a variable such as int I, but if you remain in the function in
a loop, it doesn't retain which index you are to properly  set you on. For
example say I have the following segmented string.
Let someSegment = "dogs|cats"

Naturally if you don't alphabetize it in the function, dogs will come up
first unless you put the flag of 1 in the built in function. Now, you can
string segment it to get the right information, but when it calls another
function that returns back to this dialog window, I wanted the previous
selection to be active. The result,I = DLGSelectDialog (someSegment,
"|",0,i)

The I at the end of that function should return you to the previous item in
the list with focus. But it doesn't return you to the same item if you sort
the list inside the function call.

This bug is annoying so I have to find a way around it.

If I can alphabetize the string segment before it goes into the dialog, that
would work, but how do you compare two words to be alphabetical?

I can think of a long drawn out process that will drive me insane, but
possible.

Is there any built in function that will help me out possibly?

Thanks,

John Martyn