[jawsscripts] Re: Is there only one place where i can get jaws scripts for i tunes to work with jaws version 8.0?

  • From: "Geoff Chapman" <gch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 03:14:36 +1000

Hi David/scripters.

unfortunately david, ITunes 9 totally sucks in my view!
And I don't at all like the direction ITunes has gone, nor apple's seeming
unawareness of the inaccessibility problems which not only remain from 8,
but are worsened in my view, in 9.
In that you pretty much gotta have jaws11 even to access the buy and preview
buttons, in the new html only rendering of the iTunes store listBox! jaws
just can't
see them in earlier versions I don't think, even forgetting about scripts.
you don't need scripts to access most features of ITunes really in my view,
either Itunes 8.2.1.6, with earlier versions of jaws, though there is a
configuration change they suggest you make to jaws8 if you want to run it
with iTunes 8 successfully,
I'll research that more if you need me too,
or using ITunes 9, with
jaws11.  This wasn't so much FS's fault though, but anoying apple! for
breaking the itunes store relatively normal navigable listBox interface
which they had in version 8 and earlier,
and which in my view rendered a far in a wayz superior experience
to the clunky html MSAA rendered interface they got now. which can't even
access the wishList so far as I can see.  Nor can you see any of the list of
songs with the jaws Cursor onScreen any more, for manual dragging and
dropping to temporary playlists, like you can in iTunes 8, to work out from
your shopping cart feature, which they've also totally taken out of iTunes9,
which actual songs you'd like to gift to someone, in a pre-mixed playList
etc.  All that seems to be inaccessible with the latest ITunes9 from my
experience here. even with jaws 11.

if anyone has different info to hsare, please do!  I very
often with itunes8 on my laptop, do this: add songs to the shopping cart
that I find, different versions of backing tracks for example, then cull
them down by shuffling them via jaws manual Drag and Drop, to another
playlist that I create, to help me work out which songs/versions  I really
do want to purchase.
I would also do this for gifting music, of an individual mix of songs I'd
create, by dragging the songs from the itunes store version 8 results old
listbox, and dropping them into a newly created playList. Then I could use
JawsCursor to find this list, move just to the right of the end of it's name
with altShiftRightArrow, a few pixels, and click, until it offers me the
dialog to either create an IMix, or gift this playlist.
From my investigations so far, open to being corrected, I can't see how you
can do that now
with iTunes 9, because, as I say, the itunes store results list box is no
longer seeable with jawsCursor.
and the shopping cart feature is gone.

Also, you can no longer flip speedily between items in the results list
either, with right/left arrows, which you could do in Itunes 8, for the same
reasons. f6 just no longer brings you to that listbox, even though it's
still there in the middle of the screen for sighted people.
They've just decided not to provide normative keyboard access to it! which
as I guess you can hear, I'm somewhat disappointed about.

jawsCursor can no longer manually read any of the ITunes store interface
either, at least on my system. and because the items are not in a navigable
list Box interface any more,you can't even try copy/pasting methods from the
store to another playList either.
plus, in ITunes9, the wishList feature, has replaced the very useful
shoppping cart we had in itunes8, but, so far as I can tell, it doesn't seem
accessible with version 9. in that I've not seen the AddToWishList buttons
become accessible, even in html land. However, my knowledge may be slightly
out of date, because my itunes9 version on desktop, has been broken for
several weeks,
a few months, due to another issue on a port which I can't yet resolve. so
if any of this has been fixed in the latest itunes9.1.1, then I may well not
be aware of this. I truly hope that it might be!

if you wanna install Itunes 8.2.1x, you could no doubt look for it somewhere
like

http://www.oldversion.com

or similar?

oh and the kicker?
be aware, that if you do install itunes 8, and someone gifts you any music?
you can't redeem those gifts unless you upgrae to version 9!
Sigh.
grrr!
you can however, still buy songs, and actually gift the music yourself, from
ITunes 8.2.1.6.

Here's one URL for the download of itunes8.2.1.6 that I found which might
help.

http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iTunes8/061-6717.20090715.XsE4R/iTunesSetup.exe

of course, uninstalling your current ITunes9 version, to roll back to this,
won't be a simple process either, as itunes9 is a huuuuge 94 meg beasty,
coming with quicktime, and about 4 other components, making 6 in all, to be
uninstalled, and cleanly and in certain order even,
to really get back to a totally clean system, which you'd probably want if
you truly wanted to install this earlier version of ITunes8.

 a page from apple which details how to achieve this, can be found at:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1925

hth.
geoff c.