[jawsscripts] Re: HANDLING NON-SPEAKING CHECKED/UNCHECKED STATUS OF ITEMS, WAS Framing Easy CD-DA Extractor

  • From: Lennie Rinaldi <merlin739@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 18:21:11 -0500

Hi Jeff,

Well, I went into my program (Easy CD-DA Extractor) and changed the verbosity to graphics all. What I discovered, that when a CD is inserted into the drive, the associated graphic number is the same and all the titles are selected. When I deselect the entire CD, the graphic number changed for each title. Then I hit the spacebar to select a single title, that graphic number changed back to the way it was originally.

So, I labeled the graphics "checked" and "Unchecked" and it work great.

There is another graphic number which is the same for each title, but that didn't change whether checked or unchecked. In either case, the background and foreground colors did not change.

Now, I will have to work with framing to see if I can get that to work too!

Thanks for your suggestion to label the graphics.

Lennie

At 12:17 AM 3/4/2008, you wrote:
lenny. there are a number of ways that things can appear checked or
unchecked, that I've run across in my young days, and young is the operative
word, specially in jaws land, <grin,>
so I'm sure others would have increased info on this as well.

in fact, I'd be very interested, please, in seasoned scripters, commenting
on various methods you have discovered TO WORK, of, say, making normatively
accessible in the ways one expects, by jaws saying checked/unchecked as
spaceBar is hit, over such items which don't speak this way out of the box.
As lenny has described here.

I can only say what I've noticed, not how I'd solve it through scripting,
which I'd be very keen to know myself, how the pros among us would tackle
such a thing.

I've noticed that sometimes, either the foreGround, or background color of
the text of the item itself, may change, to reflect whether an item's
checked or not. thus when you know all are unchecked, and then you check one
with spaceBar, exploring the foreGround/backGround color of one that is, and
one that is not checked, with jaws+top row number 5, may help you to
identify a way of detecting this, all be it fairly tediously by examining
each one when needed.

another thing I've noticed, with anoter cd Ripper called audioGrabber for
example, that I own,
in it's cd track list box, is that when you turn on Graphics to all, with
jaws+v, then g, each item has a graphic next to it, that alters it's number,
when it is checked, to when it is unchecked.  however, in this particular
nasty piece of work, where you'd then assume that every checked item's
graphic would be one number, and every unchecked item's associated graphic
would be another, but that all checked status items would be the same
graphic number, and all unchecked would be the same graphic number, making
it a simple task of manually labelling  the one, "checked," and the other
"unchecked," to gain accessibility, what I found instead was, that every
actual item in the list, yes every one of them, had it's own unique graphic
number that jaws would assign, to it's checked and to it's unchecked status.
not only this, but I found that if your pc cursor was actually highlighting
an item, such that it's color was white on midnight blue for example, a
common windos highlight color, then it's checked and unchecked status
graphics, located by the way  at it's far lefthand end, would actulaly alter
again! such that if you reeally wanted to be able to read with both pc, and
jaws cursors, the correct status of every track, you'd have to sit there and
label 4 different graphics, for each track.  two for the checked/unchecked
status of each item when it was highlighted, and then two other graphics for
checked/unchecked status of the trak, when it was not highlighted. Crazy!
But, this is what I found.
so, after I'd labelled as many of them in the list as I ever got, only
realyl needing to label their highlighted status, but being aware that if I
reviewed with jaws cursor, I would get no equal feedback unless I labelled,
all, those graphics as well,
my memory was that they would then become accessible, and would speak their
status even, as one toggled the spaceBar on them.

Some comments from other scripters on this topic for my own knowledge would
be very welcomed.

geoff c.