[jawsscripts] Re: Frames and Scripts and Jaws etc

  • From: Gordon Luke <Gordon.Luke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 15:31:47 +0000

Hi

Sorry for not responding to this before.  I use Jaws remotely every working
day.  All you need is for Jaws to be installed on the client machine and a
server version installed on the server.  You do though need to have the
appropriate Jaws licence to run in this mode with Remote Access Enabled.
Also note that Virtual Servers are not recommended - I was never able to
get it to work for a prolonged period of time without Jaws crashing.
Saying that I've not tried again recently so this may well have been fixed.

As for frames they are created and used on the server side i.e. You create
the frames while running the server application.  Basically the Jaws
running on the Client machine can be ignored as it is basically just acting
as a receiver for the remote speech and braille.  Really that's all you
need to know about this type of setup.  You can really just maximize the
remote Window if that's the only place you intend to work and just pretend
you're sitting in front of a normal machine.  The Jaws should be seemless.
Only other thing it doesn't do is the RealSpeak voices - just Elequence.

Hope this is of some help.  If there's anything else you'd like to know or
I've missed something out please get back in touch.

Thanks

Gordon Luke
Senior Systems Analyst
Systems Integration (L&P Applications & Testing)

Tel: 01732 429 044
Email: gordon.luke@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Part of the Capita group www.capita.co.uk

Think of the environment...please don't print this e-mail unless you really
need to.

             "Bissett, Tom"
             <tom.bissett@bmo.
             Sent by:                  "'jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'"
             jawsscripts-bounc         <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             e@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                                            cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       [jawsscripts] Re: Frames and
                                       Scripts and Jaws etc
             12/01/2011 15:01

             Please respond to
             jawsscripts@freel
                 ists.org

Jaws needs to be installed on both machines to work.  My understanding is
that jaws does all the processing on the server and simply passes the
speech to the desktop.  This suggests to me that frames on the server
application should work but as I say I never actually tried to use them.
I worked with remote for a little while until they moved to virtual servers
[ESX3] where jaws consistantly crashed the servers.  I never tried to use
frames and I didn't actually look to see where jaws was storing
configuration changes so unless someone has actually had experience you
could try a simple test.
I do know that when I made configuration changes to work with applications
on the server they were always available when needed Which suggests to me
that frames should work.
You may want to give it a try.

Tom Bisset