[jawsscripts] Re: Customize Jaws to be able to read Cisco Callmanager Attendant Console

  • From: "Geoff Chapman" <gch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 16:08:32 +1000

Hi Latricia.

hmmm, right. well, I don't want to overwhelm you, but really, as you've
probably gathered by now, this scripting lark, is really programming/coding.
if you open the sdcript manager, by hitting insert+f2, then s for script
manager then enter,
then press control+shift+d to open the default scripts, you will get a sense
immediately of how "back end," all this scripting stuff really is.  the raw
code and functions that make everything sing and dance the way you want, is
viewable in there, but for a non-programmer, it's reeeeally just gunna look
like another language!

customizing an application to work well with jaws, so that it's not only
useble, but efficient for a vision impaired person  on the job to enable
them to compete effectively with sighted coleagues, is, in my view, -  only
having done a couple of these scripting jobs myself, no small feat/task!

I.e. depending on the level of access the Vision impaired person, (vip)
requires, to be able to perform their job productively and independently,
the level of Scripting required may of course vary widely, and because I
don't know the software at all, nor what they're at present able or not able
to access/do,
I can't make any kind of informed comment as to what your up against here.
But my gut feeling is that it may not be a small job?

I can only give you a couple of birdseye view thoughts as it were, to give
you at least from my perspective, some idea of what might be involved in
getting an application not only accessible, but efficient with speech
output.

And of course longtime professionals at the role now, like Doug Lee, Brian
hartgen, and dennis whose last name I forget who used to Script
proffessionally with FS,
could of course comment even more specificly about this, since I've only
been in the game a small amount of time myself and as I say, have only
configured a couple of jobs, but, just being able to either automatically
hear what you need when you need it,
or alternatively to have keystrokes which will quickly and efficiently
gatehr the info and report it to the user upon request,
i.e. hearing what you need, when you need it, which sounds like such a
simple thing to a sighted person who just glances at stuff onScreen and it's
immediately in their head, can be a major major amount of work to get to
happen well in jaws speech output.

I only offer these thoughts because, as your sighted yourself, in my
experience at having watched sighted people trying to come to grips with
what a speech output dependent user really needs in order to drive a program
efficiently,
it's not just a matter of being able to read the screen at all! As many seem
to think.  It's about making jaws be able to do what your eyes naturally do,
when you know the job you've got to perform, and grab just that information
you need when you need it, and nothing else,
at each stage of the process, to do the job.  And as I say, this is often
done through a combination of automatic, and manual user intervention
methods, which of course then that user has to learn and memorize, i.e.
"what key do I hit to hear that bit of info again?"
Which can then involve programming some Help doccumentation into those
keystrokes to enable them to turn on the JawsHelp insert+top Row number 1
feature, then hit keys to be reminded what they do, ... etc etc.

it sounds like your a manager or employer with a vision impaired employee on
your staff. is that right?

Do you know if she/he has been in this role very long? has the program
recently been updated or changed, or have they acquired a new role which has
now meant their need to be able to operate this application?

Also, were you aware There are professional scritping consultants/companies
whose job it is to come to work places such as yours, and sit down with
people such as yourself who know the job, and with the system itself, and
assess the level of accessibility needed,
and quote on moneys to repair them?

I don't know which country you live in, but here in Australia, there are
government agencies which will actually fund software/scripting development
like this, to enable a blind or vision impaired person to be able to
function equivalently to sighted coleagues
in their job, so this may not even be something your company would need to
pay for?

Of course again I don't know how much is unuseable here, But the work i've
ben involved in scripting/bringing speech output access to, have both been
in call centre environments, and in that game, speed and efficiency are
reeeally really important usually, and the luxury of the added time it might
take, even if the access was possible without scripting, may not really be a
live option for equal productivity?

And of course the vision impaired person does not in any way want to feel
like they're performing less than adequately compared to their sighted
coleagues either, so, I would encourage you to look into this further, and
maybe get a professional to come out and discuss this with you and check
things out?

Having said all that, if you still wish to pursue "quick fixes," using IT
people in the company, in my view the best most efficient way for
non-programmers to start here, is investigating the Frames documentation in
jaws.

Again,  not having primarily had a programming background myself at all,
meaning computer languages are not by any means second nature to me, I found
that utilization of Frames, can really take you a goodish long way towards
improving the level of accessibility to an application.  And of course
although they certainly do have their limitations,
their advantage is, that in my view they don't require an incredibly high or
complex knowledge of functions and their usages, to bring their joy. they
have a large "front end," wizard style set of options, that make pretty fast
sense to anyone half way versed in I T matters, but who may not be actual
coders.
So I would perhaps exhort you if you really need to solve this on your own,
(which again I would strongly advise against for maximum results all round,
that you may wish to look up
the jaws documentation on Frames and frames manager, ?

You can find it under Insert+j, then h for help, then jaws help topics.

in the list of "books" there, open the one called "customizing jaws for
windows," and then in there you should find another book called "Frame
Viewer."

Until you get your scripting solution properly ironed out, that may be a
helpful place for you to start?
Frames allow for simple setting up of certain screen areas, under certain
validation rules/conditions, to either watch for certain things to occur,
and then automatically carry out a range of options when they do, or to
silence text being written to them, in order to shut up annoying and
irrelevant things that speak when you don't want them to because the app is
drawing them to the screen, like perhaps in a status line etc,
or be tied to certain keystrokes such that the user can press them and have
certain things spoken to them immediately.  The keystroke can also be made
to click the mouse at certain locations, in order to bring them immediately
to focus, or to cause an action to occur that has no menu key equivalent,
... etc etc.

One other application that I would again point you to, that I've had a bit
of input into designing, (not actually developing myself but testing,)
which I think can be another handy tool for performing the latter, i.e.
driving programs which are extremeley dependent on Mouse clicks and have
little keyboard support, (which at a guess I'd say probably isn't the case
with your app, but, it's called "HotSpotClicker," and is a third party set
of jaws scripts which can be installed as a separate "background,"
application, which can permit relatively straight forward front end "wizard"
style definition, of areas of the screen that need to be either glanced at,
or clicked on, to drive the application.
You may ask how it differs from frames manager, since it sounds like it does
similar jobs?
 However their are differences between them worth the thing having been
developed in the first place,
and their differences are spelt out in the pretty comprehensive
HotspotClicker doccumentation, which I'd again exhort you to look through.

it can b downloaded from

http://www.hotspotclicker.org
They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

I hope this helps a bit.
Geoff Chapman
Double Vision Productions

Sent: Saturday, April 04, 2009 1:25 AM
Subject: [jawsscripts] Re: Customize Jaws to be able to read Cisco
Callmanager Attendant Console

> I got a couple of answers back. I've never done any scripting in jaws
before. I am sighted but I have a user that visually impaired that needs to
have Jaws working with Cisco because. of her job duties.