[jawsscripts] Creating accessible forms to manage databases in Microsoft Office 2007

  • From: luciano de souza <luchyanus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 09:09:25 -0200

Hi all,

I work in a management project area. It’s crucial to control several
structured information. I tried to do it with Excel. However, it’s not
easy to use
Excel with a database.

My intention is to use Microsoft Access. The interface between Access
and JAWS is not perfect, but using Access 2003, I have created tables
easily with
SQL mode. It was really enthusiastic, however I could not create the forms.

Forms can be created with wizards, but there are two reasons why I
don’t want to use it:

1.       I want to use VBA to validate the informed data and I desire
to customize some aspects to improve the navigation in the interface.

2.       Wizards can create only simple forms from a single table.
It’s possible to create forms linking another forms.

My question is: what is the best way to create forms with JAWS? I
consider the following hypothesis:

1.       In Access, to create forms in the design mode, moving the
cursor to the control bar and trying to find and insert then in the
form. Long time ago,
a friend said me it’s possible to create forms using JAWS in Access.
However, my attempts was frustrated.

2.       In Notepad, to create a HTML page and use it as a data access
page. When I heard about data access page, I thought the solution was
found. Only
typing some tags in a editor, I could create the interface.
Wonderfull? But, it doesn’t work. I could create the page, to import
it to Microsoft Access,
converting the page in HTML form available in Access. What was the
problem? I could create the form, but not to attribute callbacks to
the controls. For
example, I create a button called “send”. It should get the values of
the “name” field, “phone” field… and concatenate it in a sQL
instruction, allowing
the insertion of new records in the database, in other words, I needed
to attribute a macro or a VBA function to work as a callback of the
mentioned button.
Editing data access page in design mode, I can’t attribute functions
to controls.

3.       In Excel, to create a form to get the data. I don’t use Excel
as a database. Since I was not able to create forms in Access, I try
to collect the
data in a Excel form. I wanted to get the data in Excel and
afterwards, to call Access with VBA, inserting records. I know, it’s a
very complicated way.
I would use Excel as interface and Access as database. Despite the
complexity, I tried it, but I was not successful. I opened VBA in
Excel environment
and I tried to create a new user form. The form is created, but it’s
not possible to attach controls to the form. As far as I could
observe, this task
is totally inaccessible for JAWS.

4.       In VBA, to create the forms and their respective controls. Is
it possible? Yes, it’s possible, despite of the big complexity, it’s
possible. But,
if it solves a problem, unlikely it creates another. I want to create
the database. But I know, being blind, I can’t create beautiful
databases. If I am
able to create forms by the Access or Excel interface, the bad
positioned controls can be moved by a seeing person. My forms will be
awful, but with few
clicks, a seeing person could improve the the look. If I create the
form and the controls by code, it can’t be edited by a seeing person
because the controls
can’t be moved in the design mode. Therefore, I can’t follow this way.

So, I ask if one of the solutions bellow are available:

Solution 1: To create forms in Access without the wizard.

Solution 2: To create a data access page in Access, attributing
functions to the controls.

Solution 3: To create forms in Excel and link it to Access by means of VBA.

I could create it with Lua, Sqlite and IUP. For blinds, it’s really a
good combination among programming language, database and graphical
library. However,
I am in a company and I need to solve the problems with the tools
offered by the company. Unfortunately, Access and Excel are the single
alternative.

Everything I described is based in Microsoft Office 2003. But I need
to solve my problem using the Microsoft Access 2007, Windows XP and
JAWS 11.01471.

Is there a solution for my problem? Can I create databases with
Microsoft Office?

This is my first message and it became really a long message!

Best regards,

--
Luciano de Souza