[jawsscripts] Re: Braille How can I shorten the text in window titles?

  • From: "David Farough" <David.Farough@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 12:23:33 -0400

Hi Travis:

Thanks for your response.  I did not notice the not in the menusactive
condition.  That will teach me to use the all punctuation setting I
guess.  It's always good to get a fresh prospective on the logic though.

I should add however that I took that block of code directly from the
braille.jss file.  I assumed that I should leave it in tact in the
brlAddObjectName function.  I do not really understand why it was there.
 I ultimately had to remove that code because none of my subsequent
processing was happening.

Now the braille output is working as I want it to.  I was able to
remove the brlAddDialogPageName and other brladdObject  functions and do
all of what I wanted in the BrlAddObjectName function.

My current function is as below.  Thanks for helping me through this.

int function BrailleAddObjectName (int nSubtypeCode)
var
        handle hWnd,
        string strNameText,
        int iFound,
        string sFormTitle

Let hWnd = GetFocus ()
if nSubtypeCode == WT_DIALOG then
        let sFormTitle = GetWindowName (GetRealWindow (GetFocus ()))
        let iFound = StringContains (sFormTitle, " -")
        if iFound then
                let sFormTitle = StringLeft (sFormTitle, iFound-1)
         endif
        BrailleAddString (sFormTitle,0,0,0)
        return true

elIf nSubtypeCode == WT_EDIT then
        let strNameText = GetWindowName (hWnd)
        let iFound = StringContains (strNameText, " -")
        if iFound then
                let strNameText = StringLeft (strNameText, iFound-1)
        endif
        BrailleAddString (
                strNameText,0,0,0)
        Return TRUE
EndIf
return false

endFunction

David Farough
Application Accessibility Coordinator/coordonateur de l'accessibilité
Information Technology Services Directorate /
Direction des services d'information technologiques
Public Service Commission / Commission de la fonction publique
Email / Courriel:  David.Farough@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tel. / Tél:    (613) 992-2779

>>> "Travis Roth" <travis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 06:42 PM Friday, May 14, 2010

Hi David,

If I understand your comment you're saying that when the conditional in
BrailleAddObjectName() is present the Braille returns to the long
title.
The conditional currently says:
If ! MenusActive () then
As I read that it is saying to  me that if a menu is not active or
open, then do not do special processing. (Note the exclaimation mark.)
My guess is its working as designed as I'd expect a menu to not be
active when an edit field has focus for example.
If a function returns true, then default processing does not occur for
that object attribute. If a function returns false then default
processing wil also occur, appending to whatever your function has
placed on the Braille display. From your code it looks like you found
this already, so apologies if I'm stating the obvious.

Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding the issue.