[jaws-uk] tip on basic navigation with ie6 and jfw7

  • From: "Marie Baisez" <marie.baisez@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:31:38 +0200

Hi all,
Everytime a new guise of the shark comes out I expect that the frustrating quirk I find it shows when using i e will be a thing of the past.
But it stil behaves in the same way for me so, now, I'm starting to think it must be me who is not using the prog correctly.
Let me explain:
When I go on a site, Jfw nicely reads the progress bar telling me things are happening. I like that.
Then it reads the title of the site, and proceeds to read the list of links displayed.
When I find a link I'm interested in, I press enter. Jfw stops reading, reads the progress bar again until it reaches 100 per cent.
Veryy good, at least it keeps me in the picture.
Then, instead of taking me to the link I've selected, it starts reading again from the top of the screen, passing the link I selected saying, quite rightly, visited link, and carries on reading to the bottom where the copyright information usually is and then, at last,reads my selected link.
This happens even if I activate the link from the links list, if I press enter or the spacebar when hearing the link being read.
There must be a keystroke to take me directly to a selected link straightaway.
Should I use the tab key to move to a link while on the link list rather than tab to activate it?
Is the selected link displayed in another part of the screen? should I use ctrl+tab or another key combination to get there?
I always make sure the window is maximized, don't make any difference even when I check that it is so.
This happens on all the site I visit, except Tom Lorimer's. There, when I press enter on a link, Jaws goes straight to it. Why can't it be the same everywhere else?
This is such a basic inconvenience that I'm sure it must have been ironed out by now, I have not paid enough attention I suppose.
Please, all of you out there who have the shark eating out of your hand, tell me all!
I've trained the beast to do quite a bit for me but would like to coax it to do a little more.
Please don't tell me it needs a few grams of the best caviar everyday, [smile!], my moderate income couldn't stretch to that!, mind you, keeping up with MSA must be almost as expensive I guess.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers now

Marie

p.s I use v.7, ie6 and win-xp home edition