[jaws-uk] Re: tab browsing

  • From: "Tom Reid" <tom.reid2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 19:32:00 +0100

Definitely got some enlightenment.

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: jaws-uk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:jaws-uk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Tristram Llewellyn
Sent: 02 April 2009 09:27
To: jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [jaws-uk] Re: tab browsing

"Is there much advantage in this for blind folk?"

I don't know about blind folk specifically (but I don't think it serves them
any less), but I think tabbed browsing is really useful.  One of the key
things is time I think.  Instead of having to go back to the start menu and
open a second copy of IE6 or whatever browser on both Firefox and IE you can
press control+T to open a new browsing instance and go straight to another
site which is far quicker than going back to the start menu or desktop to
launch a fresh browser.  I think the default behaviuor of Firefox works best
in this respect since it drops you in the new tab ready to go to your next
site although IE can be modified to do this as well.

Another thing that saves time is that since you can use multiple tabs it is
also possible to have multiple pages open at start.  For work there is no
single site I need but several I will need acces at some time of the day or
other.  Tabbed browsing makes that possible in a way that couldn't be
thought of before and puts into a neat UI that most people can use including
with the aid of apropriate support screen reader users (such as Jaws).

Most computer users to some extent or other are creatures of habbit.
Having lived long enough and therefore seen quite a few changes in personal
computing paradigm and operating systems over the last 20 years to boot, I
know this to my cost but equally as a gain.  It is sometimes good to break
an old habbit as occassionally there is a pot of gold at the other end.
Once you have had a go with it and applied it to your own needs I think it
is very much the case that you won't know really how you lived without it.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology
Technical Support
www.sightandsound.co.uk

Mail:
Tristram: tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Technical: Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
General - info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phone:
Support line: 0845 634 7979

Sight and Sound Technology Limited is a company registered in England and
Wales, with company number 1408275.

Sight and Sound Technology
Welton House North Wing
Summerhouse Road