[jaws-uk] Re: problems with Jaws and my Power Braille

  • From: "Griffiths, Steve" <Steve.Griffiths@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 12:19:52 +0100

Claire,

I've had a similar problem which I haven't been able to solve. However,
if I tell you what I did, it might work for you.

When you say the Braille display and the computer acknowledge each
other, can I assume you've loaded the driver from the CD that came with
the converter? If so, it will probably have created a virtual serial
port, and you need to know the number assigned to it. To find out, go
into the Device Manager (System Properties dialogue, Hardware page) and,
under Ports (COM & LPT), you'll find an entry for the converter. It will
have a Com Port assigned to it. Note this number.

Then do an installation maintenance for the PowerBraille and, when it
gets to the list of Com ports available, choose the one with the number
you noted previously.

It was at this point that the procedure failed for me, because I only
got a list of Com1 to Com4, and the one I needed was Com8. I tried
getting around this by manually editing the jfw.ini file and rebooting,
and when that didn't work, by reassigning the port number in the Device
manager and rebooting, but that failed too so I gave up.

Let me know if you need the keystrokes for any of the above. Hope you're
more successful than me!

Steve