[jaws-uk] Re: pdf files

  • From: "Phil Medway" <philmedway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 08:21:03 -0000

Hi Tiddy and list,

In fact, PDF is an open format, available for anyone to use.  Adobe just
happens to be the major company which employs the format.

There are a number of PDF readers out there but I don't know of one which is
as accessible as Adobe's.

This may sound strange in view of the difficulties which so many of us face
when trying to read these documents but the root cause lies with the
original creator of the document rather than the reader.

Adobe acrobat incorporates a set of tags which are similar but not the same
as HTML tags and make the experience of reading a PDF document with screen
readers similar to that of a web page.  The trouble is that most creators of
PDF documents don't know of the tags or don't understand what they do or how
useful they could be.

One blind programmer has written a couple of utilities which attempts to
convert PDF documents in to text files but the success or otherwise of the
conversion depends upon how the document has been organised.

Regards,

Phil Medway

E-mail: philmedway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tel: 01869 347639