[jaws-uk] no keyboard, no voice or no Braile!

  • From: "Mike Higgins" <m.j.higgins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 15:20:31 +0100

Hi All,
I cannot think of any recent changes/installations which could have caused
the below problems.

I am using Windows XP Pro with SP3 and JfW10.

A recent phenomenon appears to have developed.  Initially, the symptoms were
that sounds generated by the PC, e.g. synthetic speech or Windows
sounds/prompts, stopped working, whilst other audio files such as MP3s
continued to work fine.  A complete reinstall of Jaws seems to have
ameliorated but not cured the problem with sound.  Now however the faulty
behaviour has mutated!  Sometimes, whilst 'seeing' the Focus 40 I have
connected for soft Braille via USB, the driver does not appear to operate,
i.e. the display stays blank.  On other occasions, the mouse will prompt
Jaws to generate speech and the Braille display will work, but input via the
keyboard does not work.  At this very moment, I am having a rare period of
all three, keyboard, speech and Braille Display working together at the same
time!

Any suggestions as to cause and/or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,

Mike Higgins,
Email: m.j.higgins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx