[jaws-uk] Re: networking 2 computers

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 14:46:46 -0000

Hi Francis,

First you will need to ensure that both computers are in the
same Workgroup and have different names.

To do that, on each computer, right click on My Computer,
select Properties, and then go to the "Computer Name" tab.

Make sure that "Full Computer name:" is different on each
computer.  Make sure that "Workgroup:" is the SAME name on
both computers.

If they are not as above, there is a "Change" button which
will allow you to make the necessary changes.

Next, in My Computer also, and on each system, right click
on the disk drives which you wish to share data between, and
select "Sharing and Security."  Go to the Sharing Tab, and
in the Network Sharing and Security section, make sure that
"Share this folder on the network" is checked, and also
check "Allow network users to change my files".

Between these two check boxes mentioned above, is a text box
called "Share name:".  You can give each drive a meaningful
name, for example "C (Laptop)" and "C (Desktop)".

After that, you need to go to Control Panel, and select
Network Connections, where you "Create a new connection".
It should be fairly intuitive from there, but make sure you
select the radio button labelled "Set up a home or small
office network".

I'm sure there will be more questions, but let's get the
basics done.

George.