[jaws-uk] Re: george thanks disabling Toshieba keys

  • From: "Andrew Hodgson" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 12:45:22 -0000

Hi,

For the record, the issue I had with the laptop was that the volume was
being put back to a preset level of just over halfway each time it was
rebooted from cold.  Unfortunately, on Thursday I managed to mute the
sound by pressing fn+escape instead of ctrl+escape by accident, and when
I unmated it through Windows, and did a cold restart, the mute toggle
went back on again.  The mute button on the keyboard is a toggle - if
you press fn+escape instead of moving through the Windows volume
control, you will toggle it back on for good - even if the system is
cold rebooted.  The FN+arrow keys are the hardware volume control, so
from this you can hopefully get the sound back on if it is muted again.
What actually happens (after doing some research), is that the fn+key
settings are stored in the CMOS setting, and applied to the system at
startup, hence why I was having it set back to how the settings were on
Thursday every time it was restarted.

Although I think the fn+escape key combination is a bit silly, I have
had the machine for just over 4 months and have only managed to do it on
Thursday, so I am not going to loose too much sleep over it.  I will
still and try to find a way of disabling the keys, though, but I suspect
that it is more of a hardware function.

If you use a USB keyboard, this should be a non-issue.

Sorry for the off topic message, but I just wanted to clear the water.
Andrew.