[jaws-uk] facebook.com - an amazing, yet partially inaccessible, tool for blind people

  • From: "Damon" <damon.rose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 15:49:39 +0100

HI all.

Are there any Facebook members among you?

It's a really amazing social networking site. I got myself on it last week -
but had to ask someone to help me with the verification graphic in order that I
can setup an account.

Now that I'm in, it's quite good. It only currently gives limited accessibility
for visually impaired people though.

Various important things you can do, such as Add Friends, send email, have
conversations on the groups you choose to be part of, are all inacccessible now
because they have recently added verification graphics for these things too.

Interestingly, if you are in the US or Canada you can get rid of the
verification graphics by giving it your mobile phone number to verify you are a
real human being and not just a spammer. But it doesn't work with UK phones
yet. I am thinking of calling up a mate in the US and asking if she'll allow me
to use her mobile number - though not entirely sure this waves all verification
graphics away. If anyone has any insight into this I'd appreciate hearing from
you.

In the meantime, you can add to your list of friends by sitting back and
waiting for them to add you. And you can post on peoples' walls. The key to
social networking is to build those networks as they are important from
friendships, business and finding like-minded people. Oh and you can also, of
course, look for partners if that's your thing. But it's a way of opening up
networks, letting your friends see your mates friends and business
acquaintances.

You can also create and join networks. So, using a valid email address at the
company I work for, I'm now a member of their Network. I also belong to the
London network. All these things are accessible.

I think this tool could be amazingly useful to blind people, especially as we
find it so hard to network when at big conferences and at parties.

I believe visually impaired people are lobbying Facebook to have an audio
alternative to the captcha graphic put in place. I'm going to get more details
about this.

I urge you to check it out.

www.facebook.com

The other thing to mention is that, interestingly, everyone in my office has
become a member of Facebook and are networking like mad. So, the fact that I
can't leaves me at a disadvantage. There is currently only semi access for me
but I have chosen to jump on board because it's better to be partially in than
out in my circumstances.

Get an account. Get looking round. It's a fascinating site. The longer you're
on it, the more friends you collect, the more you get it.

...Damon