[jaws-uk] Re: computers running slowly

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 22:22:56 +0100

Hi Andrew,

The disk activity you hear when your Vista system is idle is
the infernal indexing process.  It is supposed to provide
you with fast searches for files, text and all sorts.  But
it's a major overhead, and a paid in the proverbial,
especially when you cold boot.

With Vista you can set up scheduled defragmentation, though
I don't feel it is particularly efficient.

George.