[jaws-uk] Re: YouTube keyboard controls

  • From: "Mister Kayne" <mujtabam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2015 18:15:25 +0530

It's a shame that Google a big giant can't pay attention to accessibility on
their video site. They are under the impression that blind guys can't see so
why do they need to be on Youtube. I have no intensions of using the Youtube
website just as they have no intensions of making the player on their site
accessible. I would rather spend my money and promote these guys who have
made a sincere effort in making Youtube videos accessible to their screen
reader audience. Here is a link to a more accessible player for Youtube,
please donate and promote them

http://www.povidi.com/YourTube/

Mujtaba Merchant
Bangalore, India
"Motivation is what gets you started, habit is what keeps you going." ~ Jim
Rohn

From: Ana G <lot.of.yada@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I was Googling something else and discovered that YouTube has some nifty
keyboard shortcuts. I'm posting them in case others of you didn't know them
either.

To play/pause a video, hit the spacebar.

To fast forward or rewind by 5 seconds, tap the right- or left-arrow key.

To fast forward or rewind by 10 seconds, tap the letter l or j.

To fast forward or rewind longer, hold down the right- or left-arrow key.

To jump to the 10, 20, 30 ... percent point in the video, hit the 1, 2,
3 ... on the keyboard.

I just tried the shortcuts, and they do work. You have to give the video a
couple of seconds to start playing. I don't know if focus is moving to
the seek control during that time. The screen reader does chatter, but you
can tap the control key to shut it up.

From: Catherine Getchell gtrumpet@xxxxxxxxx>

Interesting. I tried this with Youtube and JAWS and couldn't seem to make
the shortcuts work. JAWS was interpreting my use of the arrow keys and
other keyboard commands as JAWS navigation commands. When I hit the right
and left arrow keys, it behaved like it would do on any
webpage and read me letter by letter. When I hit l, it tried to take me to
a list on the page. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

From: Jeff Kenyon <jkenyon7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Try going to a forms element and put it in forms mode. I have had success
with that and since youtube is flash content you would be clicking buttons
like in any other flash animation.