[jaws-uk] Re: XP Media Center computers accessing

  • From: "Graham Page" <gpage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 10:22:28 +0100

if you buy a laptop from Dell and pay full price you can indeed choose but
it is often possible to buy laptops cheaply e.g. as factory refurbishments.
In this situation you do not get a choice about whether you get Windows XP
Pro or Windows XP home or even Windows XP Media Centre.

I understand that sellers of screenreaders need to make money in order to
carry out the necessary research and development and programming necessary
to keep progressing the screenreader however I feel that differentiating
between Windows XP versions is not perhaps the fairest way.  As far as I
know, JAWS is the only major screenreader that does this.

Window-eyes has one version for all as far as I know.  Supernova standard
does not allow the user to create complex settings files though prewritten
files from others can be installed.  Systems like this do mean that if you
get a cheap PC with XP Pro for example, you are not unfairly penalised.

Cheers

graham