[jaws-uk] Working alon

  • From: "Ken Reid" <ken.reid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JAWS Users" <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 19:47:40 +0100

Dave and all

When I was first told I was going blind, I worked in distribution, and it was
agreed that I should not wander on the warehouse floor alone.  This seemed
sensible, and I was happy to comply.  It was many years before the DDA was
written, and also before much of the H&S legislation , but seemed pretty good
sense to me.

Now I work in an open plan office, so don't need to worry about fork lift
trucks!

We all work differently, and whilst I am generally an advocate of open plan
environments, I recognise that for detailed concentration, quiet space is
essential.

I think the solution of a quiet place to learn Jaws is a good idea, but
personally, I feel it would increase the inevitable isolation of visual
impairment to be shut away most of the day.

Dave you don't say, but are you using ear phones to hear your screen reader?  I
find with one ear phone in I can get on with most things, and still be aware of
my environment, but if I need to concentrate I put both in, and find I am
pretty focussed.

Good luck with your training.  Screen readers are a huge boon to VI workers, so
take the opportunity to learn as much as possible.

Ken