[jaws-uk] Word Weirdness, maybe JAWS, maybe not.

  • From: "Barry G" <lister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 19:56:05 -0000

Hi folks, I suspect that this is a Word problem but am not entirely sure.

I am using Office 2000 professional, Windows XP Pro & JAWS 5.0.

I just started to have a really weird problem that I initially put down to
Word but now am not quite so sure.

I suddenly stopped being able to move around through word documents with the
cursor and JAWS would not read what was being typed.  The only way I could
read was with Insert+down arrow, reading a paragraph at a time.

I got my good lady wife to check out the screen & to my surprise, although
the Word toolbars etc. were present at the top of the screen & my document
was listed on the task bar, all that was visible where the document should
be was the desktop & icons...

As I said, JAWS was able to read the text with insert+down arrow.

If I went to full screen on the view menu, the document reappeared and all
moving/typing functions returned to normal.

I tried erasing the normal.dot file, no change, then completely uninstalled
and then reinstalled office.  Still no joy.

As I said, not sure if it is Word or JAWS, anyone got any ideas?

Barry G