[jaws-uk] Re: Wireless Protection

  • From: "Ankers, Dave \(UK\)" <Dave.Ankers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 09:17:44 +0100

Hi Phil,

Thanks for that, very informative.

Dave

Hi Dave and all,

The current speeds offered by ISPs are measured in megabits rather than
megabytes.  Since a bit is one eighth of a byte, a provider offering up to
eight mb is actually offering up to one megabyte.

Remember that up to means just that, up to.  There has been a change in the
technique used to provide these faster speeds and it is usually achieved by
making the speed variable.  You are almost certainly sharing an ISP's line with
50 or 100 other users and your speed may be affected depending on how much band
width they are taking.

Also, it is worth remembering that your connection to a site from which you are
downloading is, in reality, a set of links from one computer or device to the
next and sometimes extends to tens of these hops as they are called.
At each stage or hop, there could be a delay albeit very short but these can
add up if the chain of links is large.

Another matter to consider is that your computer will be using some of the band
width on your line to do its housekeeping and error checking to ensure that
your file isn't corrupted when your download is complete.  This constant
traffic on the line is not directly seen by you but does contribute to the
volume of data which your line has to carry and must be factored in to the
download speed.

If you use wireless, this is yet another link in the chain and its quality can
have a significant effect upon the speed.  Poor quality of the wireless signal
can reduce the speed of your connection dramatically.  Usually, this boils down
to one of two things:
1.    Weak signal, where you are either too far away from the wireless
router or where something like a thick wall or even several walls are reducing
the strength of the signal;
2.    Noise interference, where another device such as a domestic appliance
which is not suppressed properly is transmitting radio waves and blocking out
the routers' transmitions.

One final thing on security ...
Many newer wireless dsl modem/firewall/wireless routers incorporate mac address
filtering.  A mac address is a set of hexadecimal digits which are unique to
the wireless or, indeed, any adapter which can communicate between computers.
Mac address filters can be used to allow only the mac addresses of the adapters
in your own computers and rejecting any others.  This adds another level of
security over and above the password security provided by the methods known as
WEP or WPA.

For those not familiar with the term hexadecimal, it is a mathematical notation
used to describe numbers which are held in binary formats as a sort of
shorthand.  The digits are 0 to 9 and the letters A to F.

I hope that this hasn't confused anyone further.

Regards,

Phil Medway

philmedway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tel: 01869 347639