[jaws-uk] Re: Windows update

  • From: "john coley" <johncoley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:16:13 +0100

Hi Dorothy, not an easy question to answer. I've had three computers in the last six years. I'll give you the history. In 2000 I bought a Gateway. It was ok in as far as it went, but, although I had two hard disks they were very small ones, each only 20 gb. Also it had many failures over the four years I had it, which, and here I may be opening a can of worms, I think was due to the Gateway software. I then bought a Dell 8400 on ebay from a Dell reseller. Sadly, although new it had been interferred with. It had been configured by Dell as a raid, but one of the hard disks had been removed. It also had a hidden recovery partition. I had to format and reload in order to set things straight. The Dell was a nightmare. It used to go into rebooting cycles. It wasn't till I'd given up on it, having spent £700 on engineers to try to fix it that I found out what the problem had been. It had been massively overclocked. I don't know if that was the only reason, but certainly one of them. I then had my current pc custom built by a company near Watford called RL supplies. I have had one disk failure, but other than for that it's wonderful. The only thing I don't like about it is the case is different to any computer case I've ever come across, and I've never been able to swap out cards. Other than for that it's great. Back on the subject of disks the only thing I haven't mentioned is my external, a Seagate 750 gb free agent. It's performed fine to date, but I haven't had it for long enough to say much more than that.

 Hope your day's going well,
                   John.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dorothy Ingram-Gorban" <dorothy.ingram-gorban@xxxxxxxxx>