[jaws-uk] Re: Windows XP mode and Virtual XP

  • From: chris hallsworth <christopherh40@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 11:30:33 +0100

Hi Barry and all,
No you don't. Last year VMware made their so called "lite" version of Workstation, VMware Player, free of charge in terms of creating and managing virtual machines. In the past while VMware Player was free it only "played" or ran virtual machines created with their commercial offerings like Workstation. The Workstation product is still available though for those who need advanced virtualization needs, like setting up teams, taking snapshots of the machine so that it can be restored to the time before the snapshot was created, etc. If you just want to create, manage, and run virtual machines then you only need their free Player product. It's 99% accessible with JAWS and I have written some scripts, along with Donald Morrang, to make it even more usable.

Chris Hallsworth
e-mail and Facebook: christopherh40@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
MSN: ch9675@xxxxxxxxxxx
Skype: chrishallsworth7266
Klango: chrishallsworth
If you have any computer problems or queries, please contact me on the above channels.

On 15/08/2010 10:15, Barry Toner wrote:
Darren,

Naw man you've gotta install it on to the VM.

You can set up shares and sync your hard drive between the Host and Guest
OS's.  For this you need VMware Worksation which is quite expensive but does
do allot of very cool Virtualisation stuff.

Barry