[jaws-uk] Re: Wiltshire Farm Foods website

  • From: "Wendy Sharpe" <w.sharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 18:33:57 +0100

Matthew

One thing I would suggest is that a lot of sites have a text only link which
gets rid of all the graphics and might be easier to get around.  I don't
know how they do that, but you're the web expert!  I don't think your site
is too cumbersome.  If you want to see some really big sites with JAWS try
bbc.co.uk or amazon.co.uk.  Even so, with quick keys many of us can still
get around them with not too much problem.

I don't know about a separate accessible site.  The only one I know is
Tesco, and when they started developing it there was a problem in that the
accessible site didn't show all the special offers, etc, so we did feel
discriminated against.  However, that is not now the case, so Tesco did
listen in the end.  I am pleased that you see the possible criticism which
might be directed to a separate site.

I don't think there is really too much marketing fluff, as you call it.  It
is important that everyone who visits knows all about your company, what you
provide, how to order, etc.

There do seem to be too many headings.  At least, that is how they are
labelled in the text.  A heading for each meal is fine, and for the dietary
information, but I don't think it needs to say "heading" as many times as it
does.  I would assume everything is really links, so they should say "link".

One thing I would ask you to avoid at all costs is Macromedia Flash, as this
can cause real problems with screenreaders.  Flash movies refresh pages too
often, and that makes the cursor jump around so that we lose our place.  Can
you get rid of Ajax?  As I have said in a message off list, many of us have
earlier versions of JAWS which will probably not support this.

I think you are finding out how difficult it can be for us to access the
web, and I am sure many of us will sympathise with your urge to throw the
computer out of the window, as it has happened to many of us.  Screenreaders
take quite a while to learn thoroughly, and it is great that you are willing
to have a go.

I think your MP3 idea is good, as it will certainly help with quick
ordering.  I was also wondering whether you could somehow put your catalogue
in numerical order.  Some people might like to approach quick ordering in
that sort of methodical way.

I do hope other members will let you have their views.  We often complain
about problems with websites, and your willingness to help is something
which doesn't often happen.

Many thanks and besst wishes.

Wendy