[jaws-uk] Re: When your sound card goes mute

  • From: "Phil Medway" <philmedway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 10:20:37 +0100

Hi again Rashmi and all,

I'll try to be more instructive this time.

The program, QuickMix is capable of storing settings for recording and
playback such as volume and balance in a file.  It can also be run using the
saved settings file to set them back as they were, when the settings file
was created.

Having downloaded the program and installed it, you ensure that the sound
controls are as you would like them and then run the QuickMix program.

The program presents you with three check boxes for volume, headphones and
recording controls respectively.

Locate the save button after these check boxes and press enter.

You will be asked to supply a file name in which to store the settings.

By default this file will be in:
"C:\Program Files\QuickMix\"
as long as you have installed the program in the recommended place.

The file will be given the extension .qmx.

Having saved your settings, you now need to create a desktop shortcut for
QuickMix.  If you need help with this let me know and I'll put it in another
mail.

Having created a desktop shortcut, open it's properties by selecting it and
pressing alt+enter.

The first field in the properties is the command which calls the program.
When in this field, press the end key and type a space followed by the
filename you chose for the settings file followed by the characters .qmx.
Note that the letters qmx are preceded with a full stop.

Tab until you reach the shortcut key field and choose a letter not used by
anything else as a shortcut.  By default control+alt will be added to it.

Now, tab to the ok button and press enter.

If all goes well, pressing control+alt+the letter you chose will run the
shortcut for QuickMix invoking the settings file and restoring any sound
settings which might have been inadvertently changed.

I hope this helps,

Phil Medway

philmedway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tel: 01869 347639