[jaws-uk] Re: Urget question re- mailing lists; please help

  • From: "Amie Slavin" <amie.slavin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 16:22:31 +0100

Hi Barry
I think it's intimidating for people to join a group.  Most people are too
busy for heavy traffic, and groups are linked with that for lots of people.
I do run a group, for one particular project, and had to persuade some
members to join with repeated promises that it's very low traffic.
I don't think it's spam as I don't add people I haven't had personal contact
with.  Everyone who receives mailings will recognise my name, and will had
had dealings with me.  Stil, while they're evidently happy to receive
mailings, quite a lot of them wouldn't have responded to an invitation to
join a list.
It may, technically, be spam, (not sure, and welcome discussion on this
point), but it's standard practice for my sector.  I receive several
mailings on the same basis.  You kind of know that if you give your email
address to a creative freelance then they'll put you on their mailings.
I think a few list members are on my list, so they can tell me if this
analysis is wrong.  :o)
I'm really surprised that this doesn't seem to be a topic bothering more
JAWS users.  I wonder how modern VI musicians promote their gigs, just for
instance...?
If I find a package that works I'll let the list know.
Thanks again, Barry, for your thoughts and replies.  Very genuinely
appreciated.