[jaws-uk] Update on Pdf browsealoud and my Council

  • From: "Dorothy Ingram-Gorban" <dorothy.ingram-gorban@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 17:02:22 -0000

Dear List,

I was relieved on Thursday to hear from  the lady who writes the WebPages
for my  Local Authority that during her one day Seminar at Versone
Technology in
Weybridge Surrey, she had in fact seen a screen reader demonstrated by a VIP
from Newman University College Hospital., john Sexton and . She told me she
now understood completely how frustrating it must be for us hearing "alert
Empty Document" This is a small victory because it still has to be  put into
practise. even yesterday a man in Planning still believed it was  all  the
problems due to "that odd software of yours" However I think getting on to
the company in advance and chatting to a couple of staff there who arranged
the Seminar really paid off, and they are keeping in touch with me needing
volunteers to test  Websites  I have directed them to the BCAB list since on
that list they will have contact with all screenreading products, from the
main 3 screen readers down to for example products like Zoomtext, or Lunar.
 Alex the very nice man my main contact said only 37 Councils  out of
several hundred  have 1 Grade A let alone the 2 the Government expects them
to have by next year.

I had very helpful information to assist me from Clive Lever at Maidstone,
and Phil Medway, and Andrew Hodgson. plus all the documents I could lay
hands on from RNIB Sharon ,and the Equal Opportunity  Commission.

I have one particular Email sent from Clive on a Friday afternoon in poetic mood
about the delights of a well written PDF file which he likened to a Rose! I
shall frame it  what a pity I cannot Post it on this list

Regards
Dorothy