[jaws-uk] Re: Unwanted e-mail

  • From: "Brian Lingard" <b.lingard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 20:01:05 -0500

Ottawa Canada

Hi Ken and list:

Good point about filtering out mail from specific unwanted
senders is impractical as most Spam is from seemingly random
users at random domains.

Actually, often the domains remain the same, but since they are
legitimate domains, banning the domain would possibly also ban
mail from legitimate senders.

Its a real problem.

One UK firm uses something called Sender Verification.  When they
receive an e-mail, they try to send a dummy message to that user
and domain.  If their message fails, they purge the received
message as SPAM.  If the validation message is successful, they
relay the message on to its addressee.

They claim this incredibly reduces the amount of SPAM their users
receive.

Not sure if my ISP uses this technique or not, but I do know my
list management address and a couple of alternate e-mail
addresses I have, now receive nowhere near the amount of SPAM
they used to.

Take care.

Brian
Brian K. Lingard