[jaws-uk] Re: Trogan Kaspersky - how about this for a good idea!

  • From: "Dorothy Ingram-Gorban" <dorothy.ingram-gorban@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Colin Howard" <colin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 10:58:44 +0100

Greetings,

Deletion of files by virus software can, as has been pointed out, prove
dangerous.  What we always have to remember is that some coding can look a
bit like might be expected for virus programs, especially where, as in the
case of screen-reader software, the coding needs to process events created
by other software, again, something virus programs usually need to do to
affect their nasties.  so, it is inevitable that sometimes, there will be
problems.

How about if, when the screen-reader / whatever is installed, somewhere,
there is a log file containing full details of *every* file or whatever is
copied / installed, so that should one receive some kind of message from the
virus program that it is suspicious of a file, there is a list against which
it can be checked to make sure it *is*  ok or not?

Each version of the Jaws or whatever program, should make certain when
saving the information, that there is clear identification of the version,
whatever, so that less errors ought to be made.

I am not aware of any such facility or file in my Jaws installations but of
course, I may well have missed it.

Colin Howard from near Southampton in Southern England,
looks forward to hearing from you.