[jaws-uk] Sound card selection

  • From: "Robin Clayden" <robin.clayden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jaws-UK List" <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 10:21:49 -0000

JFW 12, XP,

To assist with Skype clarity, I have a small generic USB sound card fitted to
my pc as using the default system realtec is a bit poor and rough.

When switching on the pc this morning, I have no jaws kicking in. Launch
narrator and it's really fiddly to work your way into the jaws menus to get to
the sound card sub menu item... and there, the default sound card is checked.
Realtec and generic ones aren't.

So, down arrow to generic, hit enter, and jaws kicks in.

Go to bed, switch on tomorrow, and no jaws..... can anyone advise me on how to
ensure this selection is held?

I did notice in Control Panel, Sounds and Audio, that under the audio tab,
there's a checkbox to use the windows default sound device, so should I uncheck
that?

In the middle of all my troubles, I did that and of course?   Narrator didn't
even launch, I then had to go fetch a little USB media device to retrieve
speech.

Regards,

Robin Clayden, Secretary
Scottish Blind Golf Society
A Governing Body for all blind and visually impaired golf in Scotland.

Tel: 01383 737 717
Mob: 07895 083 217
Web: http://www.scottishblindgolf.com/