[jaws-uk] Solved that jumpin jaws problem.

  • From: "Robin Clayden" <robin.clayden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jaws-UK List" <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 19:18:11 -0000

FAO: Phil, Robert and anyone else who might be interested.

My recent posts relating to what I thought may have been setup or graphics card
related, I think I've now solved. If any of you went to the www.virginwines.com
site and found those combo boxes threw jaws into a broken record behaviour, I
reckon I've sussed it.

I have come home here to an almost identical pc, Dell Optiplex 2700, XP Pro,
Jaws 9.

When I went to the site, I immediately got the prompt pop up to install Adobe
Flash player. I hit the `Don't install button'  and then proceeded to navigate
through those combo boxes etc without a hitch or a hiccup.

Once I selected each area and hit the submit search button, up came the Adobe
Flash player pop up.... so I killed it again. I was able to continue around the
site no problem

Ok, closed IE, and started again, this time I hit the install button and let
Adobe Flash come on board when I opened up the wine site.

Jaws went bouncing like a jumpin jack as soon as I went in to those combos.....

But here's the strange bit. I went to control panel, add/remove and when I
selected to uninstall Adobe Flash, it said it had already been removed, so I
took out the entry from the add/remove list anyway.

Ok, back to Virginwines.com but the erratic jaws was still there.

Luckily my system marks a restore point each day and I did a system restore to
yesterdays highlighted date, went back to virginwines.com and jaws behaved
impeccably, selected options no problem, though I had to put up with the pop up
to install the flash player again.

So, there ya go, mystery solved....

However, if you want to uninstall Adobe Flash player from your systems, look
out for the problem I encountered. System restore's no good to you if you don't
know when Adobe flash got installed...

Any tech guru's on here know why it remained active on the system even though
it told me it was removed from Add/remove? The reason I ask, is I'll need to
find a way to get shot of it off the pc at work.

Cheers,

Robin Clayden, Secretary
Scottish Blind golf Society
The Governing Body for all blind and visually impaired golf in Scotland.

Website manager: http://www.scottishblindgolf.com

Tel: 01383 737 717
Mob: 07895 083 217