[jaws-uk] Re: Skype

  • From: Doris and Chris <chipmunks@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 00:17:46 -0400

count me in on that to!

To answer the earlier question on text chat in skype 3.8, the scripts
for it when installed should readchat automatically as it comes in.
the review keys for last several chat lines were also mentioned.

Also, you can shift tab into the chat history and just read the text
with the arrow keys. This works for both jaws and nvda.

I personally recommend getting to know the basics of skype - or most
programs for that matter - without the use of scripts first when at
all possible just to get a feel for how a program is on accessibility
and what keystrokes and such it supports on its own.

skype 3.8 is quite accessible out ofthe box and still my version of
choice, too, though i used to keep current with skype and even run
betas before the skype 4.x cycle.

If you want to try out or use a newer skype version, you can always
grab a portable version. This will not conflict with an installed
skype 3.8 as long as you do not attempt to run both at the same time. *smile*

Finally, for a free tutorial on skype 3.x - still relevant for skype
3.8 - go to

http://marrie.org/SkypeTutorials/3/Skype_3_Tutorials.html

Have fun exploring and happy skyping! And the latest and greatest
isn't always the bestest IMO. <g>

Doris