[jaws-uk] Re: SEPARATING JAWS SPEECH FROM SOUND CARD

  • From: "Wendy Sharpe" <w.sharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 15:58:52 -0000

Adrian

Searching the support pages on the Freedom Scientific website I have come
across the following bulletin:

JAWS may crash when you attempt to switch to a hardware synthesizer or if it
is started with a hardware synthesizer set as the default. An example of a
hardware synthesizer would be a DECTalk Express.

Solution:

If you experience this problem, it is very likely that you have Microsoft
ActiveSync installed on your computer. By default, ActiveSync uses COM1 as
the
port for serial or infrared communications, causing a conflict between
ActiveSync and your hardware synthesizer. If this happens, it is necessary
for you
to turn this feature off in ActiveSync or choose a different port for the
serial or infrared communication. Be sure to select a port different from
the
one used by your synthesizer. Follow the steps below to make the appropriate
change in ActiveSync. After you make this change, JAWS will no longer crash
when you change to your hardware speech synthesizer.

1. On your computer, press the WINDOWS Key to open the start menu.

2. Use the arrow keys to move to Programs or All Programs and press ENTER.

3. Use the arrow keys to locate the Microsoft ActiveSync shortcut and press
ENTER to launch the program.

4. In the ActiveSync window, press ALT+F to open the File menu then use the
arrow keys to move to Connection Settings and press ENTER.

5. The first item that gains focus is the Allow Serial Cable or Infrared
Connection to this COM Port check box. You may either uncheck this or move
to the
next control to choose a different port.

This bulletin is for any version of JAWS, and I only have JAWS, no braille
display or Packmate.

I have tried following the steps suggested, but MS ActiveSync is not listed
in my programs on the start menu.  I can find it with Windows Explorer, but
if I press enter on it from there it does not launch properly, and going
into the file menu shows no connection settings option.  I suspect that
there is a way to list hidden programs in start menu, but I have forgotten
how to do this.  Can you or anyone else help?

Wendy