[jaws-uk] Re: Recommendations for new PC

  • From: Tristram Llewellyn <tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 09:50:59 +0000

I would like to answer the point but in a general manner so as it may help
others here considering similar options.  The information or perhaps even
opinion I state here is borne or long experience both personally and in
advising people.  Too often people have an unhappy experience because they have
not considered the question before breaking out the cash.

When upgrading a PC it is best to think of it in context of a whole system.
This includes the software that you regularly use, the printers you use, the
scanner you use and any of bits of kit you are likely to retain after your PC
has been replaced.  The questions you ask yourself here are as important
possibly even more important than what model of machine, processor power or
even memory configuration you are going to end up with since even having made
those choices you may end up with a system that doesn't work the way you want
it to.

Some useful questions:
Will the software that I currently use (including access technology) work with
the intended operating system of the new machine?
Will the hardware that I wish to retain work with the new operating system of
the machine?

To answer these questions you may carry out the following surveys:
Contact the manufacturers of your software and ask them what operating systems
and whether 32 or 64bit they work with or attend their website to find out.
With regard to drivers for peripheral devices one should do the same with
particular reference to their drivers which again must be 32 or 64bit
compatible.

As a general answer most 32bit software will work under a 64bit environment.
The exception to this rule is software that interfaces with device drivers,
JAWS, Magic or ZoomText for instance do and therefore require they be exactly
compatible.  Software titles like Microsoft Office 2007 are 32bit but can work
under a 64 Windows.   The answer with respect to JAWS being most specific at
this point JAWS 10.0 is 64bit compatible on Windows VISTA only whilst JAWS 11.0
will also work on 64bit on Windows 7.0 platform.

You can also download and install the Windows 7.0 upgrade advisor on your
present PC you will then have to use some intelligence to look out only for
those devices that you will be using with the new machine but it will help you
get a clue as to where you may end up with problems:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15&displaylang=en

In general in terms of wider software/hardware compatibility with 64bit you can
usually by the researches described above obtain the information you need as to
whether they have 64bit drivers.  As a very rough rule of thumb items of
roughly 2 to three years in age are more or less guaranteed to have 64bit
drivers for them.  Much older than that you must exercise greater
circumspection about this possibility or do some attentive research.

If all this seems complicated it can be, making things simpler might mean that
together with your new computer you may want to get a new printer or scanner
that you know is going to be compatible right from the start or that you need
to upgrade some software.  This is why considering things in the whole is
better before you commit yourself to your heart's desire PC or laptop.

Hopefully this is helpful.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology
Technical Support
www.sightandsound.co.uk

Mail:
Tristram: tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Technical: Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
General - info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phone:
Support line: 0845 634 7979

Sight and Sound Technology Limited is a company registered in England and
Wales, with company number 1408275.

Sight and Sound Technology
Welton House North Wing
Summerhouse Road