[jaws-uk] Reading prompts for edit boxes in web page

  • From: "Ken Reid" <ken.reid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JAWS Users" <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 14:41:18 +0100

Jim, and others
I agree very strongly that if a bank et al use a security system that bars the
visually impaired screen reader user, then we are clearly being discriminated
against.  It would, I think, be an open and shut case.  No excuse about
protecting our security will wash when the protection stretches so far it
prevents the user accessing their own account!

The Halifax system that started this thread may be a bit of sloppy coding,
given the changing infrastructure that is going on all the time.  But as Martin
and I have both experienced no problems with versions 5 and 7, this sounds more
like a weakness, or change of setting, in version 8 than a failing of the bank.

I would like to be sure that the Jaws community has pooled its collective
expertise to overcome this before we try to get the bank to make changes, as
our standpoint is much greyer than that described by Jim.

Look forward to any more suggestions, and wish you luck, Jim, in challenging
your banker - don't let them get away with it!

Ken