[jaws-uk] Re: R: Re: digital voice recorders

  • From: "Jamie Cuthbertson" <jamie.cuthbertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 10:49:30 +0100

Hi Robert,

Nice one!!  However, I don't think that that was quite the way the original
question was phrased (Smile)

In case it is of use to anyone on the list, on the basis that they all
connect to a computer and the person might be using Jaws, I've copied my
message that I sent to John below.  I'm sure that I've missed out a few
important details here and there but you'll get the main thrust at least.

*****Text of message begins:
Hi John,
Although I have never used the Olympus range of voice recorders, I do
believe that they are often very usable by blind people. Perhaps someone
else will give you a more specific bit of feedback about the actual one you
mentioned.
However, I do have a fair bit of experience with a number of the other small
recording products, each of which have their advantages and disadvantages.
Below I have given a quick summary of the current products in this range.
All players are fully accessible by a totally blind person.
(All products available from RNIB - see onlineshop.rnib.org.uk for current
prices or call 0303 123 9999).
1. Milestone 311 and 312. Size: very small, around the size of a box of
matches. Internal memory of about 2 hours and removable SD card slot.
Features: recording of voice notes, MP3 playback and DAISY playback. 312
version also has FM radio and some kind of RFID facility but I've not used
this so have no comments. Overall the Milestone is a great voice note
recorder and OK as an MP3 player and DAISY player. It cannot synthesize
playback of other files like text, Word documents and HTML files. It is only
average as a recorder of audio but does record into MP3 format directly. Can
be linked by USB to a computer for file transfer using normal Windows cut,
copy and paste.
2. Plextalk Pocket (PTP1). Size: around the size of a TV remote control. Has
limited internal memory but takes SD cards up to 32GB and can connect to a
USB thumb drive. Can also link to a computer for file transfer using USB.
Features: Voice note recording, quality DAISY recorder, wireless file
transfer (coming soon), DAISY playback, MP3 playback, playback of text, Word
document and HTML files using built in synthetic voice. Overall, this is an
excellent DAISY recorder with a range of sound quality options. It is only
limited as a voice note taker. No need for a set file structure when storing
your files - the unit automatically searches for files of the various types.
This is a good MP3 player also.
3. BookSense and BookSense XT. Size: slightly smaller than the Plextalk
Pocket. Standard BookSense and the BookSense XT are very similar but XT has
addition of 4GB internal memory, BlueTooth connectivity and FM radio
feature. Both have external SD card slot and can connect to PC or USB thumb
drive using mini USB slot. Features: Voice note recording, wireless file
transfer using BlueTooth, DAISY playback, MP3 playback, playback of text,
Word document and HTML files using built in synthetic voice. Overall, this
is an excellent player of DAISY, text, word documents and HTML files. The
MP3 feature is implemented very well also. The FM radio is extremely easy to
use and fully accessible. Voice recording is OK but not its main purpose.
Personally, although perfectly accessible, I do not like the keypad on this
unit.
4. Victor Reader Stream. Size: around the size of a largish box of cards -
quite square and chunky with fairly wide rectangular keys. Features: voice
note recorder, DAISY playback, audio playback, playback of text, Word
documents, HTML files. External SD card slot and internal memory. Can link
to a computer for file transfer but file structure is very specific.
Software programme is supplied to try to make this more simple - not sure
about this though. Overall, this is an excellent playback device for the
various formats but, because it records in a prescriptive format, I don't
particularly rate the recording feature - it's OK but not great for voice
notes etc.
Hope this helps.

Jamie

  _____