[jaws-uk] R: JAWS and Dragon NaturallySpeaking

  • From: "RMPortal" <robertmartin.portal@xxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 10:45:38 +0100

Dear Brian,

I had a lengthy and expensive experiment with dictating to the computer
about 7 or 8 years ago but found in the end I was unable to take
advantage of what would have been for me, its life-changing potential .
One problem was the fact that its use of resources, when combined with a
screen reader, meant it didn't take much to crash the computer when
using it and this only needs to happen a few times to negate the
convenience and speed of writing it offered.  I know that computers have
become faster and more powerful since then but I suspect the intensive
processing required is still likely to be an issue to consider for all
but the best kept computers.
The problem which forced me to stop in the end however, was that of
homophones (words which sound the same but have different spelling and
meaning) - as you are no doubt aware, English is full of them. To give
one example, I wrote a lengthy letter to my sister thanking her for her
presents (with a t) which was understood by the dictating programme as
her presence (with "ce" at the end).  I didn't realise the mistake until
she told me.  That was amusing but since I live on my translation work
the risk of making serious mistakes of this kind was too great.  I
should add that I have spoken to sighted colleagues about this and I
know some who have stopped dictating to the computer precisely because
of this risk even though it ought to be much easier to check for such
errors visually.
Has it been possible to find a solution for this problem either in
options available in Naturally speaking or in the scripts? Perhaps it is
an area where Jaws users could find themselves better off than sighted
colleagues.  Some general ideas have occurred to me but I think the
danger of going off-topic has now become too great to go into detail
here.

Best wishes

Robert