[jaws-uk] Re: Punctuation

  • From: "Alan Philpott" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 14:32:13 -0000

hi Mandy,
Here's what you need to do: insert J to bring the computer's focus on to
jaws.
then insert f2 and press enter on the item called configuration manager.
Insert v takes you to a list of items which you can adjust to your liking
now, you can either arrow down until you come to punctuation, or you can
press p until you hear punctuation announced.  use the space bar to cycle
through each option.  pressing insert f1 gives information for each option
as you highlight it.
when you have selected the appropriate level tab to the execute button and
close the dialogue then save changes with control s.

If you want punctuation marks to be announced in a way other than the
default pronunciation then follow the instructions below.
Whatever you do, don't forget to save the changes before closing the
configuration manager with alt f4.
.

Customising punctuation
Next press the left alt key and you will then use the right arrow key to
find set options.
Then, arrow down until you hear the words customise punctuation.  Hit enter
at this point and you can then set different levels of punctuation by
pressing the space bar to be announced.  When you land on one of the
choices, pressing insert f1 will explain it.

Then having set the desired level of punctuation you can hope this helps.

With kind regards,
Alan
(Home Tel: 01733 551852;